Monday, April 30, 2012

big things


Big things have happened in both of our lives in the past week. REALLY big things. 

If you haven't bought Ashley's single on iTunes. . .
GET OFF THIS PAGE AND GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!! It is seriously amazing. And if you haven't heard, it's a little different than the original cut so add it to your music collection immediately. And once you're hooked and wanting more, do not fear, Ashley is headed to the studio next week :) The response has been CRAZY and amazing (but who is surprised by that?) and she is working to have an entire demo CD done by the end of the summer. Like I said, big things.

As for me, I graduated from college last week.

Yeah. It's weird. It didn't really hit me until I was at Commencement and we were presented to President Samuelson as candidates for our degrees and I thought, "I now have bachelor's degree. From BYU." So, I cried right there in the Marriott Center. As a younger girl, I dreamt of going to BYU and I always wanted to make sure I finished my degree. And I did it. 

I thought it would feel different. I thought I would feel like I knew everything about my major and just smarter overall, like I would just know things. But I don't. And that kind of scared me, like I didn't do it right or that I was not prepared to enter this next phase of my life. But over my first full week as a college graduate (which was spent sitting on the couch of my parents' home. typical) I thought a lot about what I learned and who I have become because of my four years at BYU, and it has changed me dramatically. I have learned much more then just about public health and some other general information. I learned a lot about me and about life, and that I still have a whole bunch to learn in every area that exists as I continue on. So, without further ado:

Sarah's top 5 lessons learned in college:

1. The gospel is true and the Lord loves us.
I had a testimony before I started at BYU, but man, has it grown exponentially! I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and it is the greatest part of who I am. I have such a testimony of incorporating the little things in our daily lives (prayer, scripture study, etc.) and how important those things are to having the spirit with you always. I have also learned how to better communicate in my Father in Heaven and hear what he wants me to do. I need to rely on Him every day and I know he has a plan for me. 

2. It is okay to ask for help.
And we should! All the time! And I'm not just talking about in school work, but in so many areas of life, and especially from the Lord, but also from parents, bishops, friends, etc.

3. I want to go into worksite wellness.
I love health, but I struggled knowing what area of public health my passion lay in. But after my internship, now I know! internships = :)

4. Even if you don't do so hot in high school, you can get good grades in college.
My college GPA is totally better than my high school one was. I learned a ton about how to study and apply myself in ways I didn't know were possible. 

5. I am a heck of a lot stronger than I realized.
Part of that comes from having faith and learning to rely on the Lord, but my motto is (even if Ashley hates it) I can do hard things!

There are a billion more of course, but these are a few of the basics. I hope to learn even more in this next stage of my life! (and that it gets even better :)

peace, love, and temple marriage

2 comments:

  1. I love your motto baby (What's a motto? makes me think of Lion King). I wish I knew how to study like you do. You are a truly accomplished young lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete