Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DC love and our famous girl


Sarah here. I've been a little absent as of late and Ash has taken over the responsibility of updating y'all on our lives. But now that I have officially finished all my classes at BYU and graduate this week, I have some free time for the ole' blog (look for a graduation/college reflection post next week).

I realized I never talked about my trip to DC, which is weird because if you are around me you know that I talk about it a ton. I am now blissfully obsessed with Washington D.C. I LOVED it. I can't put my finger on what is exactly that I love about it, but while I was there I just found myself soaking it all in and loving the beauty and history of that city.

For those that don't know, I went with BYU for a health advocacy summit. Basically, it was conference where we learned about effective methods for advocacy work and specifically the topics pertaining to public health that were advocating for. Then we stormed the Hill Monday morning and that was that.

It was a good experience and something great to put on my resume, but I don't love advocacy work, nor is that the area of public health that I hope to make my career in. Guilty confession: I just loved the free trip more than anything. . . Oops! :) Well I thought I'd share a few photos of my favorite parts of my trip.

Georgetown. I LOOOVED this place. I went there probably 3 nights of the 5 days I was there.

The Metro! I definitely learned my way around the metro routes as that was our only form of transportation. Tons of walking and switching trains, but I loved it!

President Lincoln. It was amazing to see this memorial in person. I felt a little star struck!

Blueberry buckwheat pancakes from a little place in Eastern Market. FABULOUS and a definite must have if you're in the area.
I have never been much of a cupcake person, but after trying this little baby at Baked n' Wired in Georgetown, I am converted. YUM.

Crazy cool little hole-in-the-wall bookstore.
The White House! We didn't have time for a tour unfortunately, so that's on the list for the next time I go :)

Ahhh, looking at these pictures makes me miss it immensely. But there's exciting things going on in Provo, too. . .

If you've been on facebook at all lately, you've probably listened to Ashley's song!! And I'm sure you can agree that it is absolutely and insanely AMAZING!!! How talented is my best friend?!? I was lucky enough to go with her to the studio with her both days and it was so cool! The first day they worked on just laying down the music and yes, that is Ashley playing the guitar :) But the amazing David "Dub Dee" produced it and made it into the amazing song you hear today. He added so much cool stuff and helped Ash find the places for harmonies and all that jazz. They spent 5 1/2 hours the first day just making the music and then 2 1/2 hours the second day recording the vocals and putting it together. There might be some work being done this week to polish it up and make it more amazing. . . just a hint ;) Then please look for it on itunes!!! More info on that in the future. But for now, the response to the song has been amazing! So many people, even people that don't know Ashley are obsessed with it. It's definitely going places :)

You know in movies when they want to talk to the person in the recording room and they push a button to talk to them? Yeah, this was my button to talk to Ash. Kinda legit.
The studio and Dub Dee.
My girl, doin her thing. Could she be any more amazing?!?

Where the magic happens :)

If you are one of the few, unfortunate ones to have not heard the Ashley Hess original You'll Miss Me yet, go here. Warning: You won't want to stop playing it and you'll be jammin to it constantly for probably at least a week. p.s. you might see a little special appearance of the voice of yours truly in the third chorus. . .

Good things are happening. Opportunities are coming. Doors are opening.

peace, love and temple marriage

1 comment:

  1. Aren't you moving to DC? When does that happen? That is so awesome you graduate this week. I swear it was just yesterday that we were wrapping it up in Provo ourselves. Such an awesome place. Its amazing how years later you run into people that you knew from BYU. I love Ashley's song too. You two are definitely going places. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete